A vast country offering opportunities for teaching in China with thousands of Esl English language and subject teaching in China. School teacher posts cover age from 2-18 years. Also, nursery, primary, middle and high school subject teachers, such as business, mathematics, music, accounting and chemistry are in high demand.
Teaching in China public & international schools
Many jobs in China for English speakers are available with an honours degree and or TEFL certificate in towns & cities in China. Vast majority of educator jobs in subjects, such as mathematics, PE, art and business for foreign teachers are at bilingual, sino or international schools. Teachers can opt to teach English in China at one of the many public or language schools.
A good time to start a job is around August or September when many of the courses are starting at international schools. February or November depending on the school calendar are other good times.
China teachers salary package
Choosing to go to China to teach in Beijing or another Tier 1 city you’ll be offered a higher salary than some other smaller towns in China.
- Salary: up to 29,000 RMB per month depending on experience, qualifications, location and education sector level
- Working Hours: 22 – 40 hours per week
- Living accommodation: Apartment supplied or house allowance provided
- Days off: 2 per week
- Holidays: 2 + week, also festival and national holidays
- Plane ticket: Return or single airfare refunded at the end of your contract
- Health insurance: The employer should provide cover
- Other benefits may include free day trips, mandarin lessons and further training
China work permit
Foreign teachers (You) to legally work in China require a Z Visa. Then you apply for a foreign expert certificate (Once in China) which requires you to pass a medical and have all the relevant paperwork required. See: China Consulate visa section.
Your employer must be approved by the China government to hire foreign teachers. Always a good idea to complete the Z visa process before flying out to China with a work visa in your passport.
Z visa regulation requirements are on a points based system for all foreign employees. You’ll need 65 points to be placed in Class B for teacher employment in China, A, B, C, where A is the top band. Properly qualified and the correct paperwork then you should have no issues.
Require to meet one of the following for a Z visa:
- Language teacher qualification such as TEFL, no experience required
- Bachelors degree and qualified/certified teacher certification, no experience required
- 2 + years experience teaching with a bachelors degree
Majority of schools require you to be an native English speaker from one of: Australia, New Zealand, USA, South Africa, UK, Ireland, Canada.
Jobs in China for foreigners can be secured with or without experience. Although, you will be effectively training on the job.
General requirements for overseas teachers in China
- To teach in school classrooms in China you must have at least a 120 hours+ TEFL certificate or similar English teaching qualification, classroom or online awarded. China government requirement. This is for English teachers
- 60 years old and under to obtain a residency permit. A few towns and cities allow teachers over 60 if a subject expert or case by case to be employed
- Undergraduate degree for subject teachers, such as as business, maths, history
- Native English speaker for teachers of English in a growing number of schools, not all
- 2 + years teaching experience for major towns and city locations, Beijing you need 5 years teaching experience
- Experience teaching that age range, although some positions are available without experience
- Subject teachers teaching in state or international schools should be qualified for the age of student, although not all schools
- Physical medical, z work visa, residency permit for the city you will be living
- 2 years post qualification teaching experience evidence required (For residency permit)
- No criminal record document
Qualifications and other documents require to be authenticated and then legalised at the Chinese Embassy.
Contracts from 3 months to 2 years, also possible renewable.
Residency permit in China
Depending on which provence you wish to teach different regulations and qualification requirements exist. For instance, in popular major Tier 1 cities like Shanghai you must have a Shanghai residency permit to work and live in the city as a foreign teacher.
In addition, teaching in Shanghai, or to teach English in Beijing requires at least an undergraduate degree. Also, you’ll need an English language teaching certificate, be a native English speaker and possible 5 years teaching experience.
China country facts
With a population of more than 1.3 Billion and growing the people of the country live within an area size of 9, 596, 960.
The capital of Beijing is in the north east of the country with a time zone of + 8 hours GMT.
Spending the local currency: Renminbi (RMB) teachers can enjoy local taste, fashion and international brands for their hard earned salary. Electricity: 220 AC Volts, 50 Hz and you should make an attempt to learn some Mandarin language.
Dialling code: + 86 Beijing city code number 010 Tourist Hotline 010-65130828 Emergencies call: 120 Ambulance, 110 Police and 118 Fire Climate: Warm and tropical in the south to very cold in the north in the winter.
Teaching jobs in China when listed are also located on the front page.