Home » Teacher Training » Teacher Training UK Courses

Teacher Training UK Courses

Teacher Training UK CoursesTraining to be a teacher in the UK is not the same for all parts of the UK 4 nations. Teacher training UK is different in Scotland than England & Wales although similar. Depending on the type of teaching course, such as BEd or PGCE you complete will provide you with the professional qualification. They are required for the nursery, primary, secondary or tertiary sector.


Train to become a teacher?

A teaching career can be fun and enjoyable, although not for everyone.  Prospective teachers here in the UK have certain barriers to restrict admission.

Good teachers and people willing to learn are always in demand.

 UK university can provide teacher training courses for all levels of teaching from early years to post-compulsory.

To teach in local authority schools in England & Wales, N Ireland and Scotland, you require to have Qualified Teacher Status (QTS) England, Scotland QT.

Post-compulsory learning teaching qualification in sixth form and colleges is also in connection with a PGCE for the further education (FE) colleges or sixth form colleges.


QTS award (England)

You do not get awarded QTS during your teacher training from the General Teaching Council for England (GTC) as you must:

  • Successfully complete a teacher training course, as a one year professional or postgraduate certificate in education (PGCE) course, which recommends you for QTS also known as initial teacher training (ITT).
  • One year induction after teacher training, known as the newly qualified teacher (NQT) 1st year.
  • Pass QTS Skills Tests in literacy, numeracy and information and (ICT) communications technology before the end of your initial teacher training.


Other similar tests in literacy and numeracy are part of teacher training in Scotland and N Ireland.

Scotland’s teachers sign up as a professional teacher at GTCS.


Main age range teaching qualifications  (Press on links below)

Training for the UK is conducted at a specific age range:






  • Bachelor of arts or science with QTS (BA or BSc)


Although training is for a specific age range you could teach in another age range when fully qualified if the head teacher is in agreement.

You’ll need to choose the right qualification for the age group you wish to teach.

Primary school 5-12 years or secondary school teaching qualification 11-18 years.


Teacher training UK courses

The training period for a teacher known as initial teacher training can be conducted through a number of teacher courses to suit most people from distance learning, part time and full time.

The main routes are (BEd), BA degree, or after your degree a PGDE in Scotland or PGCE in England & Wales.


Undergraduate training

  • Bachelor of education (BEd) degree
  • Bachelor of arts or science with QTS (BA or BSc)


Postgraduate training for teachers

3 main routes for PGDE & PGCE courses UK training for you to think about after completing an undergraduate degree to gain entry on a graduate teacher programme:

  • Postgraduate Diploma in Education (PGDE) Training in Scotland, (Get into teaching Scotland)
  • School-centred initial teacher training (SCITT)
  • Postgraduate certificate in education (PGCE)


School based initial teacher training

Graduate Teacher Programme (GTP) apply to a school.

Teach First which is a non-profit organisation.

Registered Teacher Programme (RTP) also based at a primary or secondary school.

School direct training programme: Where you are employed and trained by a specific school.  No need to find a job after training.

Good number of schools in England now offer graduates the opportunity to train and qualify as a teacher.  See adverts for graduates required for academies and school trusts that run a larger group of schools,


Assessment based teacher is available to experienced teachers that do not hold QTS in the UK or similar.


Training providers

School-based training for teachers is based at a school.

Other forms of training are conducted in two training placements and attendance at university on a teacher training course.


Training as a teacher funding

Teacher funding bursaries are available for postgraduate study for one-year, also training fees are paid by the government.

See here for England and Wales funding for trainees teachers      Scotland PGDE above link has information for funding


Looking to enter teaching? then you will require grade C or above in English, mathematics. At primary level you also require a C grade at least in Science.

Post-compulsory training does not have the specific same entry requirements as schools.


Interviews for a teacher place

University interview with a day’s possible assessments.  Interview for teacher training guidance see here. Assessments, groups debates, presentation and one to one interview is highly possible..


Masters in education

Useful. requested and required for some jobs is a postgraduate master’s degree in education that is studied over 1-2 years part or full time.

You’ll attend university class courses or complete the master’s degree by distance learning.


Maths courses and English A-C grade qualifications


Left school without at least a C grade in mathematics and English?


Many education employers request good mathematical skills for jobs. Maths courses and English A-C grade qualifications are becoming essential to gain a job.


English A-C grade

Further education, life skills and employers request English qualifications for reading and writing skills.

Maths courses and English A-C grade, in summary, are essential in today’s job market, also to gain access to further education at college level.

You can choose to study by full or part-time or by distance learning in some cases.


What qualifications are accepted?

O Level English and mathematics grade C and above


Standard grade at “Credit” or above

GCSE at C or above

Communications 4 and English literature together (Provides a C at Higher, Scotland)

Level 2 English (England-based adult education qualification)

Baccalaureate Certificate (A-C awarded)

GCE English C grade and above

Other possibilities are: Key skills level 3 and core skills examinations at certain levels. Check and ask!

Advanced Subsidiary (AS), Higher, Advanced Higher and A Level mathematics or English should also qualify you with a grade C or above in mathematics.


Left school and no C grade mathematics or English?

There are a number of options and second chances.

Attending college adult learning centre, work based with an employer or distance learning and attending a test centre for the examination.


How can I study and take the test?

Full time, part time, short course or going along to a test centre for a level 2 numeracy or literacy test.

Adult education centres

Colleges in the UK

Learning Direct (Skills for life qualifications, England)

Moving On (Skills for life in England only)




Skills for life?

This is a UK government initiative for people that or 16+ that left school without C grade and above in mathematics or English and have no attained that grade.

Adult education centres in England & Wales offer Level 2 English and Numeracy from test centres, with an option to either sit tests or combine learning and testing.

Level 2 qualifications in Skills for Life are multiple choice questions, 40 questions in 1.30 hours.

Grade is pass or fail.

Strictly, Skills for Life qualifications are not traditional qualifications and do not test all topics in relation to Standard Grade or GCSE for A-C paper and not all employers of education organisations accept Level 2 in Mathematics as a grade C or above.

More employers do accept Skills for Life English testing qualifications as they test for a good level of English at that level.


This list of teacher training UK courses is aimed at UK residents.

For you to secure teaching jobs at state, independent and international school you are required to have an appropriate school age qualification or community college certification as a lecturer.


Education Tay - Privacy & Cookie Policy - Terms & Conditions