A vast country offering you the opportunity to teach in China with a population over 1 billion. China provides many thousands of Esl English language and subject teaching jobs in China from major cities of Shanghai, Chengdu, (Giant panda city) Beijing to smaller cities and towns in provincial China. Chinese people like to learn, also know the benefit of a good education that will help personally and for future career prospects.
Jobs in China
China schools cover the entire age range from 2-18 years in public and fee paying international schools.
Teachers can opt to teach English in China from nursery, primary, middle and high school in China, this is your main sources of teacher jobs in the country other than being a subject specialist, for example an economics or music educator.
Depending on which providence you wish to teach different regulations and qualification requirements exist. For instance, in popular major Tier 1 cities like Shanghai you must have a Shanghai residency permit to work and live in the city as a foreign teacher. In addition, teaching in Shanghai or to teach English in Beijing requires at least an undergraduate degree and English language teaching certificate, native English speaker and possible 5 years teaching experience.
Subject teaching and English teacher jobs in China offered
Nanmuxi (Nanmu Stream) in Qionglai City
Many jobs in China are available with an honours degree and TEFL certificate in towns & cities in China. Subject teachers to teach mathematics or business for example at an international or state public school you will require teacher’s certification from your own country.
China English teacher jobs in high schools can be obtained with an English language certificate, with or without experience, depending on the school location in China following local labour laws set by the city or province. No K12, qualified teacher status required.
Native English speaker’s positions for English teaching at nursery, elementary, middle, high school in China are available.
A good time to start a teaching job is around August or September when many of the courses are starting in state & international schools.
Teach in China salary package
Choosing to go to China to teach in Beijing or another Tier 1 city you will be offered a higher salary than some other smaller towns in China.
- Salary: up to 29,000 RMB per month depending on experience, qualifications, location and education sector level
- Working Hours: 22 – 40 hours per week
- Living accommodation: Apartment supplied or house allowance provided
- Days off: 2 per week
- Holidays: 2 + week, also festival and national holidays
- Plane ticket: Return or single airfare refunded at the end of your contract
- Health insurance: The employer should provide cover
- Other benefits may include free day trips, mandarin lessons and further training
Summary of teaching in China opportunities
International Schools: Opened to accommodate local and international students offering a range of curriculum’s from different countries from nursery to school leaving age.
State Schools: Local schools employee foreign teachers for teaching English and other subjects.
Language schools: Loads of them
China work permit
Foreign teachers (You) to legally work in China require a Z Visa and then apply for a foreign expert certificate (Once in China) which requires you to pass a medical and have all the relevant paperwork required. See: China Consulate visa section.
Your employer must be approved by the China government to hire foreign teachers. Always a good idea to complete the Z visa process before flying out to China with a work permit in your passport.
Z visa regulation requirements changed in 2017 to a points based system for all foreign employees. You need 65 points to be placed in Class B for teacher employment in China, A, B, C, where A is the top band. Properly qualified and the correct paperwork then you should have no issues.
You require to meet one of the following for a Z visa:
- Language teacher qualification such as TEFL, no experience required
- Bachelors degree and qualified/certified teacher certification, no experience required
- 2+ years experience teaching with a bachelors degree
You are ready to apply for a teacher of English language job at a public or international school in China with an appropriate certificate to teach English and or undergraduate degree with experience. Majority of schools require you to be an native English speaker from one of: Australia, New Zealand, USA, South Africa, UK, Ireland, Canada.
Jobs can be secured with or without classroom teaching experience.
Language school positions that offer TEFL training and certificate in an actual job are offered by the bigger school chains in China place you with state public schools where you would be teaching at primary, nursery or high school age level. You could also be placed within one of their language centres.
General requirements for overseas teachers in China
- To teach in school classrooms in China you must have at least a 120 hours+ TEFL certificate or similar English teaching qualification, classroom or online awarded. This is a Chinagovernment requirement. This is for English teachers
- 60 years old and under to obtain a residency permit, although a few towns and cities allow teachers and lecturers over 60 if a subject expert or case by case to be employed
- Undergraduate degree for subject teachers, such as as business, maths, history
- Native English speaker for teachers of English in a growing number of schools
- 2 + years teaching experience for major towns and city locations, Beijing you need 5 years teaching experience
- Experience teaching that age range, although some positions are available without experience
- Subject teachers teaching in state or international schools should be qualified for the age of student, although not all schools
- Physical medical, z work visa, residency permit for the city you will be living
- No criminal record document
Contracts from 3 months to 2 years, also possible renewable
China country facts
Population: 1.3 Billion approximately
Area size: 9, 596, 960
Currency: Renminbi (RMB)
Electricity: 220 AC Volts, 50 Hz
Language: Putonghua (Mandarin)
Time: GMT + 8
Dialling code: + 86
Beijing city code number 010
Tourist Hotline 010-65130828
Emergencies call: 120 Ambulance, 110 Police and 118 Fire
Climate: Warm and tropical in the south to very cold in the north in the winter.
Jobs to teach in China when listed are also located on the front page