A vast country offering opportunities for teaching jobs in China with thousands of Esl English language and subject teaching in China vacancies. School teacher posts cover age from 2-18 years. Teaching in China jobs at schools from primary, nursery, middle and high school subject teachers, such as business, mathematics, music, accounting and chemistry are in high demand.
Teach in China public & international schools
Many jobs in China for English speakers are available with an honours degree and or TEFL certificate in towns & cities in China. Vast majority of educator jobs in subjects, such as mathematics, PE, art and business for foreign teachers are at bilingual, sino or international schools. Teachers can opt to teach English in China at one of the many public or language schools.
A good time to start a job is around August or September when many of the courses are starting at international schools. February or November depending on the school calendar are other good times.
Hong Kong has their own teacher employment requirements for a visa and work permit.
Teaching English in Hong Kong requirements means you need at least a CELT or 100 hours plus TEFL certificate for a work visa and possible 4 year undergraduate degree also.
China teachers salary package
Choosing to go to China to teach in Beijing or another Tier 1 city you’ll be offered a higher salary than some other smaller towns in China.
- Salary: up to 29,000 RMB per month depending on experience, qualifications, location and education sector level
- Working Hours: 22 – 40 hours per week
- Living accommodation: Apartment supplied or house allowance provided
- Days off: 2 per week
- Holidays: 2 + week, also festival and national holidays
- Plane ticket: Return or single airfare refunded at the end of your contract
- Health insurance: The employer should provide cover
- Other benefits may include free day trips, mandarin lessons and further training
China work permit
Foreign teachers (You) to legally work in China require a Z Visa. Then you apply for a foreign expert certificate (Once in China) which requires you to pass a medical and have all the relevant paperwork required. See: China Consulate visa section.
Your employer must be approved by the China government to hire foreign teachers. Always a good idea to complete the Z visa process before flying out to China with a work visa in your passport.
Z visa regulation requirements are on a points based system for all foreign employees. You’ll need 65 points to be placed in Class B for teacher employment in China, A, B, C, where A is the top band. Properly qualified and the correct paperwork then you should have no issues.
Require to meet one of the following for a Z visa:
- Language teacher qualification such as TEFL, no experience required
- Bachelors degree and qualified/certified teacher certification, no experience required
- 2 + years experience teaching with a bachelors degree
Majority of schools require you to be an native English speaker from one of: Australia, New Zealand, USA, South Africa, UK, Ireland, Canada.
Jobs in China for foreigners can be secured with or without experience. Although, you will be effectively training on the job.
General requirements for overseas teachers in China
- To teach in school classrooms in China you must have at least a 120 hours+ TEFL certificate or similar English teaching qualification, classroom or online awarded. China government requirement. This is for English teachers
- 60 years old and under to obtain a residency permit. A few towns and cities allow teachers over 60 if a subject expert or case by case to be employed
- Undergraduate degree for subject teachers (BEd degree, PGCE, Masters in education, PGDE, BA, such as as business, maths, history
- Native English speaker for teachers of English in a growing number of schools, not all
- 2 + years teaching experience for major towns and city locations, Beijing you need 5 years teaching experience
- Experience teaching that age range, although some positions are available without experience
- Subject teachers teaching in state or international schools should be qualified for the age of student, although not all schools
- Physical medical, z work visa, residency permit for the city you will be living
- 2 years post qualification teaching experience evidence required (For residency permit)
- No criminal record document
Qualifications and other documents require to be authenticated and then legalised at the Chinese Embassy.
Contracts from 3 months to 2 years, also possible renewable.
Residency permit in China
Depending on which province you wish to teach different regulations and qualification requirements exist. For instance, in popular major Tier 1 cities like Shanghai you must have a Shanghai residency permit to work and live in the city as a foreign teacher.
In addition, teaching in Shanghai, or to teach English in Beijing requires at least an undergraduate degree. Also, you’ll need an English language teaching certificate, be a native English speaker and possible 5 years teaching experience.
China country facts
With a population of more than 1.3 Billion and growing the people of the country live within an area size of 9, 596, 960.
The capital of Beijing is in the north east of the country with a time zone of + 8 hours GMT.
Spending the local currency: Renminbi (RMB) teachers can enjoy local taste, fashion and international brands for their hard earned salary. Electricity: 220 AC Volts, 50 Hz and you should make an attempt to learn some Mandarin language.
Dialling code: + 86 Beijing city code number 010 Tourist Hotline 010-65130828 Emergencies call: 120 Ambulance, 110 Police and 118 Fire Climate: Warm and tropical in the south to very cold in the north in the winter.
Teaching jobs in China when listed are also located on the front page.
Elementary & high school teaching in Korea is wide ranging from independent private to ESL jobs at public state run schools. Each year there are in excess of 10,000 job opportunities for international educators to teach in Korea.
The country is always looking for good teachers, making the location a viable option for teaching English in Korea or your subject with teaching jobs in Korea such as business/economics, mathematics, chemistry, ict/computing.
Teaching jobs in Korea
Teach in Korea options
Private or public school for me?
As a qualified/certified teacher from your own country (3-18 years) you can choose. Hagwons (private schools) are for additional learning. Younger children around 5-12 out number older high school learners, so many jobs at private school are for young students.
A government public school is similar to western school and more formal in education.
Private independent and International school jobs in Korea are also for qualified teachers where you would teach a specific subject or grade. Yes, in English. There a a good few schools in south Korea offering boarding or an international school education.
Public school jobs in Korea
This type of school is for teachers that are looking for set hours, structure during the day with nights and weekends not teaching.
Korea public school’s offer ESL teacher jobs, and to teach elementary, middle, high school job in subjects.
You’ll be directly employed by the government, with a contract and salary from the Korean Ministry of Education.
A popular country to teach English abroad for native English speakers, as school’s offer good salaries and other employment benefits to teachers.
Private school in South Korea
Language schools (Hagwons) jobs are available in Korea and these employers recruit direct or through a recruitment company. Many of the jobs you will see advertised are in the private sector.
Salaries tend to be higher, although some organisations provide less structure for your working day.
Yes, you would be teaching English.
One advantage is materials, lesson plan and curriculum to follow is provided, less planning and grading than international or public schools.
Teaching schedules and lessons provided to learners are delivered morning, afternoon and evenings to accommodate students who pay for tuition.
- Elementary/kindergarten: Morning, afternoon, early evening
- Middle high school students: Afternoon and evenings
- Adult learners: Afternoons, although more at night
You’re teaching timetable may just be for young learners or a mix of age groups, depending on experience. Expect to be teaching for 5/6 days from 7 and different times of the day.
Teachers salary and benefits in Korea
Benefits Korea private school jobs Korea public school jobs
Class size 24-30 student in class 12-15 in class
Teaching hours 24-26 per week 30 per week
Holidays 18 days + 15 Up to 15 + 15
Overseas teacher One each school 1-15+ per school
Salary 1.8-2.7 million Krw 2-3 million Krw
Health insurance Provided Provided (Check)
Airfare Return Return
Accommodation Single apartment Single apartment
School location Cities, town, rural Cities, town, rural
Start dates August/September. February/March Anytime
Choosing to teach in Korea will enable you to save for the future for when you eventually return home. Taxes are deducted for most foreign teachers.
Korea teaching job requirements
– Appropriate bachelor’s degree or equivalent from an accredited college or university
– Citizenship of an English speaking country
– Native/Fluent English speaker
– Obtain and meet the requirements for an E2 or F4 visa
– Appropriate teaching certificate for the age group and school
– Two or more signed and sealed university transcripts
– Criminal record check
– Medical check
People are employed with and without experience, all depends on the position and school.
Getting all the required paperwork together takes time, although could be a rewarding life experience. The visa and immigration requirements, such as the medical check are comprehensive and deciding to take up job should be well planned and researched.
School teaching year in South Korea
South Korea school teaching jobs start in March and later in the year, although you could also start when lessons have already started.
Teaching jobs in Taiwan as a classroom teacher in state elementary & high schools, you must have trained teacher status for the primary or secondary school level in your own country k12 level. Schools look at experience for teaching in Taiwan at that certain age range, especially kindergarten.
English teacher jobs at government or language schools in Taiwan can be found with or without Esl qualifications. Some of the larger language schools have training programs in place allowing salary package and Tefl certificate after qualification for new teachers. (more…)
Western trained teachers and educators from other regions can experience teaching in Malaysia private international schools. Teaching jobs in Malaysia help teachers to secure work and residency permits. You should be a suitably qualified teacher and obtain the correct paperwork to work & reside legally.
Jet away to a tropical climate teaching in Thailand long term or a contract for 2 years. Teaching jobs in Thailand public & international schools are at all levels from nursery, elementary and high schools. There are jobs for teachers in schools all year round starting in August or April. You can also experience the country teaching English in Thailand at a language school or one of the government 2nd tier schools