As a local or overseas qualified teacher you are in demand, and have a choice to teach one of many subjects from Mathematics, computing, geography, PE or general learning teacher of primary.
Dubai schools, work visa & education department Knowledge and Human Development Authority (KHADA) requirements for all school teachers are fairly strict. You must meet certain subject qualification standards, teaching experience, and have a formal school age teaching qualification for the age of students you’ll teach.
Dubai school teacher requirements 2033
For 2023 to teach in a public or international school classroom in Dubai a teacher must have a qualification minimum of 4 year bachelor degree BEd/MEd or 3 years subject specialist degree & appropriate teaching certification at the age you teach (PGDE, PGCE). In addition:
- Recent in the past 6 months criminal clearance document from home country, FBi for USA, Disclosure Scotland or DBA for UK.
- Medical check document that has been authenticated.
- Certified, attested and legalised qualifications for visa and work permit regulations.
- Qualified teacher from home country, MEd, BEd, PGDE for age taught.
- 2 + years teaching experience, also newly qualified teachers considered.
- Dubai classroom teachers has a Bachelor degree in the subject you’ll teach, and teaching qualification at that age.
- Legal work permit & residency for Dubai/UAE or application pending.
- Fluent or native language ability in English for British & American schools.
- Management and leadership positions requires you to have a masters or doctorate in education or school leadership qualification
“KHDA established requirements for teachers in Dubai’s private schools. The aim of these requirements is to safeguard and enhance the quality of teaching and learning in Dubai private schools”.Knowledge and Human Development Authority
Taught in class education qualifications are only accepted where you attended college or university face to face. Distance, open or online learning certification is not accepted for Dubai school teaching positions by the education department.
Classroom and senior leadership positions requirements are the same for education & teaching jobs UAE including education qualifications for the post and obtaining a work permit/residency visa.
Looking to teach in Dubai age 60 + ?. Work & residency permit could be obtained on a case by case basis, as there’s a shortage of teachers. You’re perceived as too old and retired at 65.
School teacher KHADA verification & approval
You as a qualified foreign teacher from USA, UK, South Africa, Australia or Canada are first given “Initial Appointment” by (KHDA) and you’re school submits all paperwork for your full approval to teach in Dubai international schools.
Initial appointment requirements mean you need:
- A class teacher, such a as primary school teacher needs a recognised bachelor degree in education [B.Ed] or PGCE/PGDE or [M.Ed] teaching certificate for the age range taught.
- All subject school teachers require a recognised bachelor degree or above directly relevant to the subject you wish to teach.
Knowledge and Human Development Authority (KHDA) will check a prospective teacher’s application before making a final approval. They look at language proficiency, subject & teaching qualifications, legal status and fitness to teach.
Teaching English in Dubai
Esl and English teacher in Dubai at international schools spread out around the city.
Qualifications required for language teachers of English are native English speaker, CELTA or at least a TEFL certificate. Employers may also ask for a master’s degree in English or linguistics, they can pick whom to employ.
Summary of personal school teacher skills & attributes
What do international schools look for in teachers?
- Good or outstanding classroom teaching practitioner.
- Excellent subject knowledge for age of students you’ll teach.
- Empathy and understanding for all children at the school.
- Good time keeper.
- Able to deliver excellent lessons in a well timed manner.
- Great communicator at all levels with students and colleagues.
- Good sense of humour is important.
- Self motivated and get go attitude.
- Evidence of continued professional development, and attend all school training & development sessions.
- Respect different cultural & religious beliefs, and be able to adapt to a new living environment.
- Be approachable, confident and open with a positive attitude.
School management & leadership teacher requirements
Head of department teachers are required to have excellent organisation skills and full subject knowledge. HOD’S must be outstanding teaching practitioners with proven ability to lead a team of specialist subject teachers to deliver quality & inspirational lessons. You require implementing and making changes when required to the departments plan, aims & objective, and keep up to date with curriculum & teaching method changes.
Deputy head teacher is a member of a schools senior leadership team with vast amounts of successful teaching and learning experience and appropriate qualifications. School leaders require a number of year’s prior experience at management level, sound motivation & inspirational attributes as a leader to support teachers and the principal.
Head of secondary overseas teachers and is responsible for the smooth running of all teaching and learning for students aged 11-18 years old. They require vast amounts of teaching knowledge and administrative skills coupled with excellent time management & organizational ability to work under pressure and to tight deadlines.
Head of primary department has a leadership role to manage young learners aged 5-11 years old. Required skills, experience & knowledge are inspirational teacher leader, through knowledge of early years & primary school curricula and able to make positive change.
School principal requires a through understanding to effectively manage a school teaching & learning staff and budget enabling students and teachers to perform to the best of their ability and thrive academically.
3 questions and answers
Can you teach in Dubai without a PGCE? Yes, although you require another school age 3-18 years old qualification, such as PGDE. MEd, BEd, as only qualified teachers can practice teaching in Dubai international schools.
Can you teach in Dubai with no experience? Yes, but in few schools. Majority of private schools in Dubai request at least 1-2 years successful teaching experience or more. Almost all western teachers will not receive job offers without experience, especially from good schools.
Can you teach in Dubai without a teaching degree? No. International schools can only employ teachers who have a degree in the subject they’ll teach.