Opportunities for teaching in Abu Dhabi, UAE from Al Ain, Sharjah, Ajman and other areas in United Arab Emirates are diverse from education & school teaching jobs in Abu Dhabi public, private or international schools.
Qualified state school teachers looking for a position in the (UAE) can work for government organisations in Dubai or other parts of the Emirate. The UAE is made up of several different areas with Dubai and Abu Dhabi being more well-known cities internationally.
Teaching jobs in Abu Dhabi UAE
United Arab Emirates international schools
Fee paying schools in the UAE is where many teachers look to teach, with international school jobs advertised to educate local Emirate and the large expat community of foreign children.
Private UAE school teacher positions at nursery,/kindergarten, primary/elementary and secondary/high school level are advertised throughout the year to attract qualified teachers to the country.
Abu Dhabi, UAE private school teacher salary
Salaries for a classroom teacher at an international fee paying school in Abu Dhabi, UAE start around 9,500 up to 18.000 AED per month tax free depending on qualifications and experience. In addition a salary package is payable including, gratuity, one return fight, health insurance and free accommodation.
Set up of an international school
Each school is split into different age groups from nursery, primary and secondary sections. Teaching and education jobs cater for children from a mixed background of nationalities.
Although each school is fee paying, they choose a certain curriculum they teach from USA, England, Australian or indeed an India.
School age levels in kindergarten, elementary and high school from teacher Year/grade 1 to 13.
Qualifications for UAE classroom teachers
Teachers require appropriate qualifications to teach, and depending on the position you apply for will ascertain the level of qualification required.
To teach 3 to 18 years old’s at a school you must have a degree in that subject and qualified to teach at that age level. This is a requirement of meeting work permit regulations in the UAE.
In addition, the following is common for international schools jobs positions:
- Police clearance from Scotland or a DBA Check England & Wales certificate or a background check from your home country. Must also be certified and apostatised. When you receive your police clearance certificate send it back and ask them to stamp and sign it, as this is required for legalisation process at the UAE embassy or immigration
- You must have all qualifications certified, apostatized and legalized to obtain a working visa and residency. Some employers will advertise this with people that have qualifications ready, takes time and money to arrange. You pay for the documents yourself
- Native English speaker applying for positions delivered in English. This is another requirement that many international schools ask and to obtain a UAE work permit
- 2+ years experience teaching at that level
- Full medical check
- Good references
No older than 65, this is the maximum age the UAE will issue a working residency permit.
Securing a work permit before relocating abroad, you require to submit appropriate documents and undergo a full medical in the UK also. Medical check, work & residency permit to live/work in the UAE.
Teaching contracts from 1 to 3 years that you sign in Arabic, as this is the only legal contract.
Your employer will inform you of the documents they require and request you to bring. Just remember, when you inform an employer the date you can start, some documents such as the police clearance takes time to process. Apply for the right criminal record check.
When you arrive in the UAE to teach you can arrange certain documents to be processed at your embassy. Much easier and better to have your documents required ready before flying out.
Teaching in Abu Dhabi public schools jobs
Abu Dhabi government schools for the coming years are actively employing experienced and qualified primary and secondary teachers as well as management to work in state public schools.
Education in the UAE is developing and schools are implementing innovative plans, educational policies, running various programmes aiming to enhance education for school children. There is a 10 year initiative plan currently in place from the education department where good western trained teachers are helping with change.
Teaching in United Arab Emirates salary & benefits at public schools
Public school basic salaries in Abu Dhabi and UAE start at around 12,300 up to 20,400 AED per month. So, what will I get you ask? All depends on the number of years teaching experience you have and you can get extra each month for a master’s or doctorate degree holder.
- Do I pay tax and is there any deductions? No
- Do I get a pay rise after one year of a two-year contract? Most likely not. The contract you sign will clearly state the benefits and salary for the duration
- Is holiday pay included? Yes
A typical public school teacher salary package includes:
- Salary start at around 12,300 up to 20,400 AED per month
- Monthly salary payment into a local bank of your choice
- One return flight home per year, plus dependent children (Up to 3)
- Furnished apartment or villa depending on your position. Not shared
- Full medical coverage card for the UAE
- 3 year contract working for a top Abu Dhabi employer
- 5 day working week with Friday and Saturday off
- Initial flight to the UAE, visa and medical process while in the country paid
Abu Dhabi/UAE salary and benefits for teachers in public schools are one of the most generous for a school teacher in the region.
Yes, you pay out of your own pocket for all document and medical tests in your own country.
As a qualified teacher, they wish to make you feel welcome as a teacher in Abu Dhabi. They ask you to sign a 3 year full-time teaching contract and in return, they provide a good selection of benefits as part of your salary package. Contracts can be renewed by mutual consent.
1961 is the cut off date of how old a teacher should be for government school teaching positions. This is stated as one of the requirements for prospective teachers in public school on the Abu Dhabi Education Council website. (See also for a list of vacant job positions) (For reference only)
Teacher requirements for public school jobs
- Bachelor degree or above in the subject you will teach (Must match the subject, eg; Degree in English to teach English)
- Native English language speaker ability
- 2 good good teaching references
- Medical clearance document check
- 2 + years teaching experience at the age level proposing to teach
- Qualified/certified teacher status for the age range from your home country
- A citizen of either Australia, Canada, South Africa, UK, USA. Ireland or New Zealand
- No evidence of a criminal background
This is also the requirements for work + residency permit for UAE teaching jobs.
Teaching in UAE opportunities
Public Schools in Abu Dhabi
Teaching in private/public schools in Abu Dhabi or surrounding areas is possible for foreign qualified teachers where they are recruited to teach core subjects of English, Sciences and Mathematics each year.
Two government school employers:
- Abu Dhabi schools (In the emirate area)
- United Arab Emirates Government Schools (Employed in a public school in UAE)
Accepting a teacher’s job you would be in the UAE teaching local Emirati school children mainly in a nursery, primary or secondary school. The organisation who would employ you: UAE government for their schools in the region or education department in Abu Dhabi or for the United Arab Emirates.
School locations are spread around Abu Dhabi areas, which makes up around 60% of the UAE emirate. As a teacher you would be placed in a school of their choosing although new teachers generally will see other western teachers in the same school.
In 2018, there are 296+ schools where you could be placed as a teacher from a city, local town or a smaller rural school teaching local Emirati children.
The larger Abu Dhabi City, to Al Ain or a school in Al Gharbia. is where you could be placed.
School age level
Nursery: Teach basic science, maths and English with a local Arabic speaking teacher
Cycle 1 Primary: Maths, science and English lessons
Cycle 2 Secondary: Teaching your specialist subject of English, math or science
Cycle 3 Secondary: English specialist subject teacher
Think to yourself, do I have any issues with classroom management, getting on with others or do my examination results show low grades? Do yourself a favour and do not apply for a state school teacher job in UAE.
International schools provide single or shared accommodation, with state schools providing single accommodation. Your employer also could pay an apartment allowance if asked for, although is generally not adequate to cover rental costs in any part of the emirate.
The UAE can be expensive with villas attracting some of the highest rents per month. Finding and paying for an apartment yourself could set you back in excess of 8000+ AED per months rental for one bedroom apartment.
United Arab Emirates facts
Population: 3.4 million
Area size: 83,600 SQ km
UAE Currency: Dirham
Arabic is the main language
+ 3 GMT winter time and summer is +2
Dialing code for international callers: +971
October to May climate is hot & sunny. Rest of the year is hot in the day and not much rain
Useful Numbers & City Codes
Abu Dhabi: 2, Ajman: 6, Al Ain: 3, Aweer: 58, Dhayd: 6, Dibba: 9, Dubai: 4, Tarif: 88
Police: 999, Ambulance: 998/999, Fire: 997, Electricity and Water: 991
General Information: 101, Telephone Directory: 180 or 181, Emergency (Abu Dhabi): 344 663, Municipality Emergency Number: Abu Dhabi: 02 777 929 – Dubai: 04 2232323
Private medical facilities are of a very high quality but can be expensive. Your employer should provide a medical card for free medical care should it be required.
So where can I find a list of jobs available?
Should you decide on one of the teaching jobs in Abu Dhabi and United Arab Emirates is for you, then the first place to look is on job boards from the Middle East, UK, USA, Canada and Australia. You will see a good number of international schools, teaching vacancies in UAE.
This website has jobs at times
Recruitment agency websites.
Another obvious place is on school websites in the UAE advertising for certain subject teachers.