Varying from primary, nursery, and secondary schools. Students start at primary school at 5 years old in primary one until primary 7 in public sector schools. Secondary school start at 12 years old from first year until the sixth year at 18 years old leaving age. The school year begins in August and ends the following June.
Scotland Curriculum Phases
- Preschool from 3 -5 years old (P1)
- Primary school 5-12 years old (P2-7)
- Secondary school from 12-18 years old (S1-S6)
Secondary school qualifications in Scotland from14-16 years old are Standard Grades studied in the 3rd and 4th year which leads to the first level of national qualification, equal:
- Skills for Work National Vocational Courses available to pupils aged 14 and over.
- Standard grades are studied and award at different level up to credit level: Intermediate, Higher and Advanced Higher courses for pupils aged 16-18. Higher and Advanced Higher studied from 16 to 18 years old to gain entry to further study, university and apprentice entry requirements. See also: Scottish Qualifications Authority (SQA).
Curriculum for Excellence started in 2009-2010 teaching year to focus on a single coherent curriculum for all pupils aged 3 to 18 years old with an aim to increase and place more focus on numeracy and literacy and pupil choice in primary and secondary Scotland teaching curriculum. See Learning and Teaching Scotland.
Written by: Education Tay RCB